Effect automation is explored as author Scott Hirsch creates automation for a delay send, as well as automating a cutoff filter in order to add motion and depth to the vocal echo effect.
- [Instructor] Just like automation of volume…on a lead vocal can help make your mix more exciting…and focused, automation on effects parameters…can spice up vocals in a mix as well.…Here we'll automate a filter on an effects delay track…to give you one idea of how automation can be used…to give effects more dimension.…So here in the bridge of the song,…I've already set up a delay send, so off the lead vocal…across bus one, I've set it to send to a delay track.…
And this track already has a delay plug-in.…So at this point, to hear the delay, I can dial up…the bus send and we'll hear the delay.…It sounds like this.…(light jazz with vocals)…So it's a real, as you can hear it bouncing out,…it's a really dramatic delay.…It wouldn't be appropriate for the whole song,…but I wanna show you how you can use automation here…to set up a special effect at the end of this bridge…to lead back into the song.…
So what we're gonna do first is automate the send…to turn up only during the end of this section,…and let the delay kind of bounce out and then fall away…
Audio engineer Scott Hirsch starts with comping the vocals—combining the best performances into one final vocal master take. He explains how to edit out breaths and other noises and fabricate a doubling effect for additional texture and vibe, and then brings in some plugins into the mix—Antares Auto-Tune, Melodyne, and iZotope—to tune vocals and create more interesting soundscapes. In the "Mixing" chapter, Scott enhances the sound of the vocals with EQ, compression, reverb, delay, and automation, adding life and motion to the song. The final track demonstrates everything you can do to maximize the effectiveness of vocals with Logic Pro.
- Comping takes in Logic Pro
- Editing breaths and noise
- Doubling and tuning vocals
- Experimenting with iZotope's Stutter Edit
- Processing vocals with EQ and compression
- De-essing vocals
- Using reverb, delay, and modulation effects
- Automating levels and FX in Logic Pro