A macof floods the CAM table and causes a switch to enter a fail-open mode and start acting like a hub, sending traffic out all ports. The hacker can then easily sniff the traffic.
- [Narrator] A switch's Content-Addressable Memory…or CAM Table, maps the MAC address…of the device to the physical switch port.…The CAM Table helps data move more…efficiently on the LAN by sending…data only with the proper destination…and nowhere else.…With the CAM Table, or Switching Table,…these pairings can be volumous.…A macof Attack floods the CAM Table…so that the switch really has no…way of knowing where to send the data.…At that point, the switch enters fail-open mode…and starts acting like a hub…and send traffic out all ports.…
The hacker can easily sniff the traffic.…In order for this attack to be successful…though, the macof Attack must continue…to bombard the switch with these bogus entries.…Once stopped, the timers will be reset…and then the switch will resort back…to being a switch.…I'm in Kali Linux now to demonstrate…a macOf Attack very quickly.…I've opened up Wireshark 'cause what I want…to do is a quick capture so you can see…what happens on the backend during a macof Attack.…
I'll open a terminal…
Note: The topics in this course will prepare you for key objectives on the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. Find an overview of the certification and the exam handbook at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Sniffing network traffic
- Passive vs. active attacks
- Comparing IPv4 to IPv6
- MAC and macof attacks
- Investigating DHCP attacks
- Detecting ARP and DNS spoofing
- Sniffing tools and techniques
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sniffing Overview
2. MAC Attacks
6. Sniffing Tools and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.