Yersinia is a tool built into Kali Linux that can take advantage of the vulnerabilities in some of the protocols found in the data link layer such as STP and CDP.
- View Offline
- [Instructor] Intrusion detection and firewall protection…that defend and protect the network…typically work at the network layer and higher.…By design, Layer 2 protocols…are with the confines of a LAN…under the physical control of an organization.…An attack can take place because network administrators…don't generally monitor the LAN unless there are problems.…However, there are several attacks on Layer 2 protocols.…Yersinia is a tool that can take advantage…of the vulnerabilities in some of the protocols…found in the data link layer.…
As you can see, attacks for the following…protocols are implemented,…and a lot of them are involved…with the Cisco devices.…On a side note, Yersinia comes from the organism…yersinia pestis, the bacteria that causes plague.…As dramatic as that sounds,…it's a great tool for analyzing…and testing the network and systems.…The Spanning-Tree Protocol is used on a local area network…because switches have redundant links for fault tolerance.…Spanning-Tree Protocol will change the pathways…
Note: The topics in this course will prepare you for key objectives on the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. Find an overview of the certification and the exam handbook at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Sniffing network traffic
- Passive vs. active attacks
- Comparing IPv4 to IPv6
- MAC and macof attacks
- Investigating DHCP attacks
- Detecting ARP and DNS spoofing
- Sniffing tools and techniques