Windows 10 has a feature that allows you to run the Bash shell. Find out how to enable this mode and use Bash directly on Windows.
If you're following along with this course…using a Windows 10 system,…you can install the Windows Subsystem for Linux…to give yourself a Bash shell environment.…Rather than running in a virtual machine,…the Windows Subsystem for Linux actually runs on instance…of a Linux compatible environment right within Windows.…It's a compatibility layer,…and in order to take full advantage of it,…we need to install a distribution of Linux.…Packages for that are available from the Windows store.…It's not a full desktop installation of Linux,…but it's enough to learn about Bash…and about the standard tool chain…that you'll find on most Linux systems.…
In order to make this work, we're going to take two steps.…First, we'll install Windows Subsystem for Linux…and then we'll restart, and then we'll install…the Ubuntu package from the Windows store.…So, to get started, I'll search for…turn Windows features on and off.…In the window that pops up, I'll scroll down to the bottom…and tick the box next to Windows Subsystem for Linux.…
- Recognize what the characters “-h” represent in the statement “df –h/home/alice/Documents”.
- Explain how to recall a previous command in Bash.
- Identify what the command “ls -l” will show.
- Recall what is needed to use the find command to look for files by name, size, and so on.
- List the two modes file permissions can be set to.
- Recall why many command line tools are intended to be used in pipes with other commands.
- Explain what the command “grep -E "" report.txt” will show.
- Identify what the “>” symbol is often used for.
Skill Level Beginner
Learning SQL Server Development on Linuxwith Joey D'Antoni1h 54m Intermediate
What you should know1m 51s
1. Setting Up Your Environment
2. Command-Line Basics
3. Files, Folders, and Permissions
4. Common Command-Line Tasks and Tools
5. A Peek at Some More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.