Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of LFCS: Essential Commands (Ubuntu).
- [Instructor] In this course, I'll be using a virtual machine in VirtualBox running Ubuntu desktop. We'll go through the installation in the next chapter. During the course, we'll create some files to work with so there are no exercise files to download. I expect that you're at least somewhat familiar with the Linux command line and how it works. The end of this course is to get you up to speed with tools and concepts that will be used later in a path of study to become a Linux system administrator. If you're looking to learn the Linux command line for the first time, I'd recommend you check out our introductory course on that first.
- Exploring filesystems
- Installing Linux on a physical or virtual machine
- Working with files, directories, and links
- Finding files
- Handling input/output redirection
- Comparing text files and non-text files
- Compressing and decompressing files
- Configuring file permissions
- Managing the root account
- Accessing the command line remotely
- Transferring files
Skill Level Beginner
1. Install and Log Into Ubuntu
System documentation11m 21s
2. Working with Files in the Terminal
3. Security and Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.