Join Grant McWilliams for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Linux: User and Group Management.
- [Instructor] In this course we will be using Windows to run a CentOS 7 Virtual Machine in Virtualbox. Don't worry if you're using Mac or Linux as your host OS though, both will work fine. You'll also want to have high speed internet for doing Linux OS software updates. You'll also want 10 to 15 gigabytes of free disk space for the Linux Virtual Machine. If you took my previous course, Linux: Installation and Overview, you can continue using that CentOS 7 Virtual Machine. If you didn't, you can use a standard CentOS 7 server with GUI installation.
This means that while installing CentOS you'll want to choose Server with GUI on the software selection screen. While installing you will also want to make sure that the first user is an administrator.
- Identify what data is stored in the /etc/passwd file with the shadow suite installed.
- Name the file that Linux group password hashes are stored in when the shadow suite is installed.
- Describe how to override default account aging information.
- Explain how to elevate privileges using the sudo command.
- Name the command that a user can use to change their effective primary group.