Discover how to efficiently manage the thousands of installable pieces of software that come with CentOS Linux. Learn about Linux software package choices and how to manage packages with RPM and Yum.
- [Grant] CentOS Linux comes with nearly 10,000 installable pieces of software. Knowing how to manage all of the software is a powerful skill to have. Knowing how to double the amount of installable software available can make your Linux system even more capable. Welcome to Linux Package Management for CentOS. I'm Grant McWilliams, computer science instructor and Linux enthusiast. In this course we'll learn about Linux software package choices including Debian and RPM. We'll focus on RPM packages for CentOS aiming at the Red Hat certifications of RHCA and RHCE.
We'll use RPM tools to create the package database, we'll learn to monitor our file system using the package manager for any files that have changed ownership, size, or check sums, and we'll also add the possibility of installing 10,000 new pieces of software by adding third party repositories to CentOS. Lastly, we'll look at troubleshooting our software installation tools to keep our system running well. I love Linux and I'm excited to teach you about Linux software package managers so let's get started.
- Linux software installation types
- Managing packages with RPM
- Verifying package attributes
- Validating package integrity
- Managing packages with Yum
- Getting information on packages and groups
- Managing OS updates
- Configuring Yum clients
- Managing repositories
- Troubleshooting Yum