Master the fundamentals of configuring and troubleshooting the Linux kernel. Learn how to read and write proc files, work with loadable kernel modules and source code, and configure the kernel.
- The Linux kernel is generally considered to be the biggest and most important open source project in the world. The kernel lies at the heart of all distributions of Linux, from super computers to Android phones. It powers millions of web servers and is enabling the Internet of things. I'm Kevin Dankwardt, and for nearly 20 years, I've guided teams in building devices that use the Linux kernel. In this course, I'll show you the basics of what the kernel is and look at how the kernel boots up.
After that, we'll take a look at using and configuring Linux kernel modules. Then we'll write out own module. Finally, I'll show you how to download the source of the Linux kernel and configure and build it for yourself. Working with the kernel of an operating system may sound daunting, but it's easy to get started.
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014)with Jon Peck3h 52m Beginner
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.