Email is one of our main forms of communication in the business world. Learn why email addresses and company directories are coveted target for a hacker. Lisa Bock reviews why it is important to limit your exposure of your company’s email lists because of Spearphishing, spoofing and identity theft risks.
- [Voiceover] Email is one of our main forums…of communication in the business world.…Email addresses represent a coveted target for hackers.…And where can they be found?…Well, one of the things is…they can be found on a company's website…but in addition they can also be generated and crafted.…A compromised email attack…is commonly linked with identity theft.…A hacker can take over an account…and get all of your contacts and other personal information…and that can result in other accounts being compromised.…
Having a list of valid email addresses to a company…we can generate a spear phishing attack.…So one of the things we try to enforce upon owners…is that concealing email lists on a website…is very important.…Now here is an example of a notification…of a recent attack.…Information has been released regarding a group…of malicious cyber actors who have compromised…and stolen sensitive information from various government…and commercial networks.…The attack used malicious files often through embedded links…in spear phish emails.…
Note: Our Ethical Hacking series maps to the 18 parts of the EC-Council's certification exam. This course maps to the 02 Footprinting and Reconnaissance domain.
- Using competitive intelligence
- Hacking with search engines
- Using email for footprinting
- Getting social
- Mirroring websites
- Using Ping, Tracert, nslookup, and dig
- Taking footprinting countermeasures
- Pen testing for footprinting