Join Chaim Krause for an in-depth discussion in this video Vim, part of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Essential Training.
- [Instructor] We're working in a shell environment,…and we need to know how to change files here.…If you're on SUSE, you've probably chosen it…because you want to work with a graphical user interface.…That's what SUSE is known for;…for having those graphical tools.…You're not always gonna have the GUI available to you.…For example, if you SSH into a remote computer terminal,…you're only gonna have the command line.…So you're probably gonna pick a graphical editor…to use to edit your files.…
But if you have to work in a command shell,…let me give you some real quick tips.…Not much here, I'm not gonna go into big detail,…but we'll use Vim, because Vim is on…almost every system that you'll encounter.…So if I simply type the command vim…and then I give it a file name,…it will create that file for me,…and it will be blank.…Vim has two modes.…It's got command mode, and insert mode.…So when I'm in command mode, I can perform actions,…and when I'm in insert mode, I can add text.…
So if I want to start typing,…I need to actually get in that insert mode first.…
- What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
- Installing SLES
- Linux file types
- Working at the command line
- Managing processes
- Working with background processes
- Managing users and groups
- Changing file permissions
- Configuring network interfaces
- Displaying hardware information
- Managing drivers
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Package Managers and Repositorieswith Scott Simpson1h 13m Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
1. What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
2. Working at the Command Line
3. System Initialization
4. Process Management
5. Identity and Security
6. Managing Software
7. Network Management
8. Basic Network Services
10. Administration and Monitoring
11. Hardware Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.