Grasp how searching free and paid records online can provide a great deal of information on your target. Review Spokeo, a people search site that uses public records, Whitepages listings, and social networking sites, and discover powerful tools such as AnyWho, Spokeo, and Yansi to unearth a ton of information.
- [Instructor] When conducting footprinting…and reconnaissance, searching public records online…can provide a great deal of information on your target.…When you put in a name, it will present you…with all names like the one you entered.…Therefore, you need to narrow your search…with more specific filters, such as state or age.…Anything that you can put in…to narrow your search will help.…But what are we going to find on these public records?…Well, data found in the public domain is maintained…by local, state, and federal government.…
This includes things such as property title and liens,…birth and death certificates, business records,…such as Security and Exchange Commission filings,…and court records.…In addition, data not maintained by the government…includes phone numbers, licensing,…press releases, and newspaper articles.…Commercial records can be searched for mailing lists,…phone connect and disconnect information,…and business profile statistics.…We'll just take a look at some of the many…public search engines out there.…
Note: Our Ethical Hacking series maps to the 18 parts of the EC-Council's certification exam. This course maps to the 02 Footprinting and Reconnaissance domain.
- Using competitive intelligence
- Hacking with search engines
- Using email for footprinting
- Getting social
- Mirroring websites
- Using Ping, Tracert, nslookup, and dig
- Taking footprinting countermeasures
- Pen testing for footprinting