In this video, Kevin Dankwardt, demonstrates use of tar and cpio for backups. He cautions you about being careful with cpio in particular because it can overwrite using absolute path names and if run as root can be disastrous.
- [Instructor] Let's talk about using cron to do a backup.…Well if you're going to do a backup daily or hourly…then your Lenox system might be already configured to make…that pretty convenient, because it already runs stuff…usually hourly and daily.…If you go to etc and you list grep cron, you'll see…a number of things.…You'll see the anacrontab, if you look at that,…down on the bottom there it's pretty cryptic but essentially…the one for the cron.daily line there says run everyday,…a delay of five minutes, we're calling it cron.daily…and it's going to do a nice command.…
So it won't interfere with other stuff and we do…the run-parts command, you can look at that, that's actually…a script in bin.…And it's going to run the cron.daily program.…It's going to run the stuff in cron.daily all the programs…in cron.daily.…So if we go to cron.daily, and the anacron also says…don't start before three in the morning, stuff like that.…
So we go here, and it's going to run all these scripts.…You can see this one's set up to rotate my logs…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Linux Command Line (2016)with Scott Simpson1h 38m Beginner
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.