In this video, you'll learn how to use John the Ripper to recover passwords from hashes.
- [Voiceover] John the Ripper…is a popular password recovery tool…which is included in Kali.…It runs on the command line or through Johnny…which provides a graphical front end…to it's extraction engine.…Let's see how we use John the Ripper…to crack passwords in Linux.…I'll select John from the Password Attack menu.…This will open a terminal window…and show the Help file.…Before using John the Ripper,…let's take a copy of the password# file.…This is stored in the /etc directory…as a file called Shadow.…
I'll copy the contents of the Shadow password file…by entering cp/etc/shadow…phile.txt.…Let's have a look at the password# file…by entering cat phile.txt…There's a lot of entries here.…Let's see what John the Ripper makes of it.…I'll enter john phile.txt.…John's finished and I'll use the - - show option…to look at it's recovered passwords…and we see root with toor as it's password.…
Okay, let's add a couple of new user accounts.…I'll add George with a password of big secret.…I'll add Franz with a password of password1.…
This course will give prospective ethical hackers a short overview of the tools in Kali Linux. Cybersecurity expert Malcolm Shore shows how to set up a virtual environment for testing, configure Kali Linux, and install toolsets for information gathering, vulnerability assessment, password and hash cracking, and target exploitation.
Because businesses are connected, they are also exposed. Vulnerability testing helps organizations limit that exposure. This course will help you explore the careers, techniques, and tools behind ethical hacking—one of the most competitive and sought-after IT security skills.
- Overview of Metaploit, Maltego, and Wifite
- Setting up a virtual lab with Oracle VM
- Installing virtual machines and appliances
- Exploring the Kali Linux applications
- Gathering information with DMitry and DNSenum
- Conducting a vulnerability assessment
- Installing OpenVAS and Vega
- Testing passwords
- Exploiting targets
Skill Level Beginner
Up and Running with CentOS Linuxwith Scott Simpson1h 32m Beginner
1. Setting Up the Virtual Lab
2. Introducing Kali
3. Information Gathering (Understanding the Target)
4. Vulnerability Analysis
5. Passwords and Hashes
6. Exploiting Targets
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.