Explain the role of GRUB with the Linux kernel.
- [Voiceover] More fun with Booting,…understanding the Bootloader GRUB.…What does GRUB do?…What's GRUB's role?…Well, GRUB is executed after the power on self test…and the BIOS.…In fact, the BIOS loads the beginning part of GRUB.…The beginning part of GRUB needs to be in…a special place on disk typically.…Then GRUB loads the kernel and,…frequently, for most desktops and servers,…there is an initial root filesystem image also on disk…that GRUB loads.…Then GRUB is going to transfer control to the kernel,…and while doing that, to get the kernel started up,…GRUB's going to pass command line parameters.…
GRUB is pretty cool in that…you can interrupt GRUB and get a prompt…and edit how it's going to work.…So you can, on the fly, at boot time,…set some different kernal command line options.…If you want different, then we're in the configuration file.…GRUB goes to the disk, which means…the filesystem, and reads in the kernel…and the init filesystem images.…That means GRUB needs to understand…the filesystem type.…
So when GRUB is built, it's built with support…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Linux Command Line (2016)with Scott Simpson1h 38m Beginner
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.