On a LAN, a device is identified by its MAC address. Changing the MAC address on a NIC card will allow an attacker to intercept traffic. Lisa Bock demonstrates how to change a MAC address on a NIC.
- [Instructor] On a local area network,…a host is identified by its MAC address.…If we spoof the MAC address,…an attacker can intercept traffic.…If the MAC address is spoofed, the victim may be…well unaware that anything has taken place,…and the attacker can sniff all the traffic…that was designed to go to the victim.…But how do we spoof a MAC address?…Well, we need to change it.…I'm in a Windows operating system.…Now, there are some software tools that you can use…to change a MAC address, however, some of them are outdated…and they don't work with modern operating systems.…
Let's take a look at a couple ways…you can change your MAC address.…I want to go to the Device Manager.…Once in the Device Manager,…I'm going to go to Network Adapters.…I found the network adapter,…and I'll right click and look for Properties.…Now I'll go to Advanced.…Now here it says Locally Administered Address.…A network adapter has a number…of alternate naming convention.…They could go by network address, adapter address,…MAC address, physical address, Ethernet address,…
Note: The topics in this course will prepare you for key objectives on the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. Find an overview of the certification and the exam handbook at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Sniffing network traffic
- Passive vs. active attacks
- Comparing IPv4 to IPv6
- MAC and macof attacks
- Investigating DHCP attacks
- Detecting ARP and DNS spoofing
- Sniffing tools and techniques
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sniffing Overview
2. MAC Attacks
6. Sniffing Tools and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.