In this video, Kevin Dankwardt solves the challenges and demonstrates how to configure NFS in sync mode and to test its behavior with processes sharing an open file. He then shows how to compare the performance and convenience of scp and SSHFS.
- [Instructor] All right, let's try those challenges.…The first one was make the export have sync in it.…So let's check that out.…I added the sync keyword in there…and I made sure that I restarted nfs.…And now we want to mount that twice.…There we go.…And let's mount it again to a second directory.…
Let's make sure that the file is empty.…And let's run our program twice…We'll have this guy print an A…and he'll go to sdir1.…And we'll have this guy go through sdir2,…and he'll print a B and they'll both run in the background.…So they should be both running…here at the same time, printing A's and B's.…
And let's look at what's happening to our file.…Let's see if we're getting 'em nicely interleaved.…So far nothing.…What's going on?…Why aren't we seeing anything?…Look at that, curious.…Oh, finally something showed up.…NFS server finally wrote something.…Wrote a B and now it's writing lots of A's.…Curious.…Alright, so we can't really depend on…exactly how those things are going to get updated.…
So something to keep in mind, be careful with nfs.…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.