CentOS is often used on servers, but it's sometimes useful to have a desktop environment to work with. In this video, learn how to set up the GNOME desktop on a CentOS machine.
- [Male Narrator] Servers usually run headless, … without a monitor, … so they don't usually need a desktop environment. … But CentOS isn't always just used as a server. … Sometimes it's used for workstations, … and sometimes it can be useful to have … a graphical environment available on a server. … Configuring a desktop environment manually … is pretty complicated and, luckily, … CentOS gives us packages and package groups … to make installing and configuring … common desktop environments a lot easier. … Let's take a look at setting up … the GNOME desktop on this server. … Let's double-check the list of groups … that are available for us to install from … with YUM grouplist. … Here, under available environment groups … is GNOME desktop. … I can find some information about that group … with YUM groupinfo, and GNOME Desktop in quotes. … Here, I can see the software that … would be installed with the group. … And, to install that group, I'll write, … YUM groupinstall "GNOME Desktop" … This will download over 700 megabytes of software. …
- What is CentOS?
- Installing CentOS
- Configuring networking manually
- Configuring the network with NetworkManager
- Connecting remotely
- Working with security-enhanced Linux (SELinux)
- Setting up a firewall
- Setting up a web server
- Sharing user home folders with Samba
- Setting up a desktop environment
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Basic Administration
3. Working with Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux)
4. Working with Common Services and Applications
5. Using a Desktop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.