One of the reasons manipulating files on the command line is so powerful is due to pattern matching using globs. By using asterisks, question marks, sets and character classes we can match many different types of files easily. File globs gives us the power to select many different types of files based on their names and character patterns.
- [Instructor] One of the reasons that manipulating files…on the command line can be faster and more efficient…than the GUI is pattern matching.…In BASH pattern matching is called file globbing…and all commands can use it.…File globs allows to match patterns for instance,…if you wanted to list config files we can match files…ending in dot C-O-N-F by using an asterisk.…So we'd type in L-S space slash E-T-C…slash asterisk dot C-O-N-F.…An asterisk matches any type of character…and any number of them.…
So file dot asterisk would match any word that…starts with file has a dot in it and is followed…by any number of characters.…A question mark matches any type of character…but only one of them.…So file question mark dot T-X-T would match…file a dot T-X-T and file one dot T-X-T.…If you want to match two characters…you're going to have to include two question marks.…We can match a range or a list of characters with…a set using square brackets.…Each set matches exactly one character,…but that one character can be any of the items…
- Define file Access Control Lists.
- Describe what extended globs add to Linux pattern matching.
- State why file system recovery tools are so important for Linux users.
- Recall what execute permissions on a directory allows.
- Cite the maximum allowed default permissions on a file in Linux.
- List some of the advantages of ACLs over standard Unix permissions.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Desktops and Remote Accesswith Grant McWilliams1h 44m Intermediate
1. Linux Files
2. Manipulate Files
3. Standard Unix Permissions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.