Extended globs allow us to match multiple character patterns as well as specify the occurrences of the pattern. We can also match one pattern or another. Extended globs also allow us to negate patterns and even group multiple patterns together in one match. Extended globs brings very powerful pattern matching to the command line.
- [Instructor] In addition to standard globs, Bash allows…us to use extended globs.…This is an option that may be turned off…in your version of Linux.…Check to see if it's turned on, type in a terminal.…S-H-O-P-T and hit enter.…Look through the list and find E-X-T glob…and ensure that's turned on.…If it is not turned on, you'll need to type in…S-H-O-P-T space dash S space E-X-T glob and hit enter.…To make this persistent you'll need to put it in…your bash R-C startup file.…
Extended globs give us more pattern matching power.…They grant us the power to specify the number of occurrences…to match, which is difficult to do with standard globs.…They also allow grouping matches.…Patterns can be more than one character.…If you want to match three occurrences of A-B-C we could.…They also allow us to match one pattern or another.…With extended globbing we can specify zero or one…occurrences of a match.…For instance, if we want to match zero or one occurrence,…of the letters A-B-C, we'd use file,…question mark, left parentheses, A-B-C,…
- Define file Access Control Lists.
- Describe what extended globs add to Linux pattern matching.
- State why file system recovery tools are so important for Linux users.
- Recall what execute permissions on a directory allows.
- Cite the maximum allowed default permissions on a file in Linux.
- List some of the advantages of ACLs over standard Unix permissions.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Desktops and Remote Accesswith Grant McWilliams1h 44m Intermediate
1. Linux Files
2. Manipulate Files
3. Standard Unix Permissions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.