In this video, Kevin Dankwardt describes and demonstrates automounting. Home directories for different users are shown being automatically mounted. The timeout for the automounter is set and demonstrated.
- [Instructor] Mounting on-demand, that is a directory…isn't mounted to ask for it to be mounted.…Lenox accomplishes this with autofs, just what's commonly…used for NFS, you may have a system with say lots of home…directories and at any given time, only a few of those…are being used.…If those are all being mounted via NFS, that means you could…have lots of things mounted with NFS that aren't being…used and that's wasteful, it's taking up time and space.…
So with autofs, what happens is when somebody changes…directory or opens up a file, in an autofs mounted…directory, then it gets mounted from the server.…And it stays mounted for a little while and if it's not…used after a while it gets unmounted.…So there's going to be a few files involved, the first file…the default config file or the config file you'll specify…is going to list files that will specify where things…get mounted.…
So for example, in the auto.master you could say we're…going to have a mount point /home and that means stuff…in the file specified for that will be mounted under /home.…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Linux Command Line (2016)with Scott Simpson1h 38m Beginner
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.