In this video, Kevin Dankwardt shows a Bash script to make a lot of large files, a Bash script to make many empty files, and Bash scripts to format file systems. These scripts are used to compare file system types ext4, XFS, and Btrfs.
- [Instructor] Now, we'll see the commands…for form editing and time and space measurements.…So, on this system, we have a partition, sda10,…that was set to be 200 megabytes launch.…Not all that big.…And we can format that with a file system,…and then we can create some files,…or we can see how many files we can create…and get an idea about overhead.…So, I have a couple short scripts here.…Let's look at one I called format.sh.…
I'm going to be working with a directory called p10…where I'm going to mount my partition.…So, I'm going to run this script a few times.…That means the p10 directory might be mounted…on the partition.…So, we'll unmount it, just in case.…If it's not mounted, then we'll get an error message…but that doesn't hurt anything.…Then, we're going to format partition sda10.…And we're going to format it with the type of file system…that we use as an argument when we run the script.…So, if we run the script ext4, we'll format…in ext4 and so forth.…
After formatting it, we're going to mount it.…If the format doesn't work, then we'll handle dl.…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.