- Identify the basic components of a Linux distribution.
- Explain why it is important to note the VirtualBox host key on your installation.
- Point out one way you could modify the settings of your VM before installing CentOS.
- Determine the first thing you should do when logging into a newly installed VM for the first time.
- Tell how to use Gnome 3's overview mode to start any application.
Skill Level Beginner
- [Grant] With the advent of cloud computing and mobile devices, companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter are turning to Linux to provide their services. Welcome to Linux: Overview and Installation. I'm Grant McWilliams, computer science instructor and Linux enthusiast. In this course, we'll gain foundational knowledge of Linux and how to install it. We'll learn what Linux is and explore some of its origins. We'll look at free and open source software and how it's changing the world. We'll also examine several versions of Linux and answer the question as to why there's so many.
I'll show you how to use VirtualBox to run Linux inside your computer without interfering with your host operating system. We'll select a version of Linux and walkthrough the installation process step-by-step. I love Linux and I'm excited to teach you about it. So, let's get started.