You may not want everyone being able to access the AT and Cron services. Using the at.deny, cron.deny, at.allow and cron.allow you can decide who gets to access to both services. You can also allow or deny users to the cron service by using the PAM access.conf module.
- [Narrator] As system administrators,…we may want to limit who gets to create at or cron jobs.…If so, we have four files at our disposal,…at.allow and cron.allow for allowing access…to the at and cron services.…We have at.deny and cron.deny for denying access…to at and cron services.…The allow and deny files serve the exact same purposes…for the respective services.…When I reference the deny file,…you can substitute either at.deny or cron.deny…according to the service.…
When I reference the allow file,…you can substitute either at.allow or cron.allow.…The deny file's job is to deny users by name…from using the service.…By default, the deny file exists and is empty.…The result is that nobody is denied…so everyone can create at and cron jobs.…If the deny file exists and has usernames in it…then those users are denied.…The allow file's job is to allow users by name.…The allow file overrides the deny file.…
By default, the allow file does not exist…so all users are allowed,…unless they've been named in the deny file.…
- Write the command that will take you to the most recent directory.
- Write the command that brings back the arguments and options from the previous line.
- Explain what extended globs can do.
- Identify the access.conf line that will restrict all users from using the cron service except for the user named bob.
- List the line that will get a list of only running services.
- Identify what typing ‘systemctl enable crond’ will do.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
1. Linux Shells Overview
2. Using the Bash Shell
3. Linux Processes
4. Job Scheduling
5. System Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.