Managing user authentication on many hosts can be difficult and time consuming. Using directory services can make administration easier and security stronger. For this chapter, configure an OpenLDAP server to provide directory services. First, you need to cover some LDAP terminology such as entry, attributes, and object classes.
- [Instructor] Lightweight Directory Access Protocol,…or LDAP, provides a centralized information storage…accessed over the network that could contain…information such as user authentication,…email messaging, and calendar services.…LDAP is platform independent and runs…on most operating systems.…It is also an important component of commercial stacks…such as Microsoft's Active Directory…and Red Hat's Directory Server.…It is difficult to maintain user authentication…on many hosts.…Directories like LDAP allow a centralized information…storage for this purpose.…
LDAP uses a client/server arrangement to allow…clients to connect to the LDAP server over the network…and retrieve information about users and access control.…If a client tries changing information,…it verifies the person is authorized to do so.…Communication between the client and server…is done via a TLS cryptographically encrypted…tunnel for security.…The LDAP service supports multiple back-end databases.…Concerning directory services,…a directory is a specialized database…
- Network Time Services (NTP)
- How NTP works for authentication
- Configuring the chrony server and chrony client
- Setting up an LDAP server and LDAP client
- Creating a Kerberos database
- Configuring Kerberos client authentication
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux System Engineer: Networking and SSHwith Grant McWilliams1h 53m Appropriate for all
Linux: Package Management for CentOSwith Grant McWilliams1h 56m Intermediate
1. Network Time Services
2. Setting Up an LDAP Server
3. Setting Up an LDAP Client
4. Authentication Using Kerberos
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.