Email is used by business and contains a lot of information. Learn how to obtain and analyze an email header and then track the IP address of the sender.
- [Instructor] Part of a thorough footprinting…and reconnaissance exercise is investigating email.…Now, email is very important.…It is vital for business and our email communication…is used universal, throughout the business world,…and also our personal lives.…Now, email can also be forged.…As far as forging an email address,…it's done a lot of times because we want to slip it…through the spam filters…and some of the other filters in the organization.…
And it can hold bad things, such as viruses and worms.…Spammers forge email addresses…so that they can get into an organization,…and a real common way to use email is phishing…and spear phishing attacks.…A very large percent of the ransomware attacks…that occur are from email attacks.…So, one of the things that organizations do…is use what we call reputation-based solutions…in that they check the email headers…and see where the email has come from…to see if it's a valid email address,…if it's a valid IP address,…and then cross-reference to see if that reputation is bad.…
Note: Our Ethical Hacking series maps to the 18 parts of the EC-Council's certification exam. This course maps to the 02 Footprinting and Reconnaissance domain.
- Using competitive intelligence
- Hacking with search engines
- Using email for footprinting
- Getting social
- Mirroring websites
- Using Ping, Tracert, nslookup, and dig
- Taking footprinting countermeasures
- Pen testing for footprinting