Join Chaim Krause for an in-depth discussion in this video Get help at the command line, part of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Essential Training.
- [Instructor] So we've got all these commands…that can be used at the command line.…But if you're not familiar with them,…it's difficult to use them,…or know which command to use in the first place.…So I'm gonna teach you a few tips…so you can get some help.…So the first thing, is help.…Let's actually type help and see what happens.…If I type in help,…well, it doesn't look too helpful,…but it is kind of helpful.…Let's use our shift page up key…and shift page down key…to see more of this.…
And what help does,…is help, by default, lists the commands in the bash shell.…But just the listing isn't very helpful,…so let's pick one.…Let's pick mapfile.…What is a mapfile?…And if we type help mapfile,…we get information about mapfiles.…Again, you can use your shift page up and page down…if there's more than one screen worth.…And you can see what a mapfile is,…and the options you can use with it.…
So if it's a command that's part of the shell,…then we can use the help command…to get information about it.…So if I say help ls for list,…
- What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
- Installing SLES
- Linux file types
- Working at the command line
- Managing processes
- Working with background processes
- Managing users and groups
- Changing file permissions
- Configuring network interfaces
- Displaying hardware information
- Managing drivers
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
Linux: Package Managers and Repositorieswith Scott Simpson1h 39m Intermediate
1. What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
2. Working at the Command Line
3. System Initialization
4. Process Management
5. Identity and Security
6. Managing Software
7. Network Management
8. Basic Network Services
10. Administration and Monitoring
11. Hardware Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.