Viewing documentation on the GUI can have advantages over the command line. These might include the ability to bookmark, print, and save command documentation.
- [Voiceover] Getting help for command line programs…when using the GUI isn't as easy as you might think.…When we need help on the command line,…it's just using to use a MAN or info commands.…However, there are times where we might want…to have a graphical tool to view system documentation.…Printing MAN pages would be a good example…of why we might want to access them from the GUI.…The system help browser's called, "Yelp"…and we can find it by going to applications,…favorites, and clicking on "help."…The help pages that comes up by default…is only for GUI applications and the GNOME desktop.…
Let's close the help browser so we can run…it from the command line.…Let's open a terminal by going to applications,…favorites, and clicking on terminal.…I'll make mine full-screen and bump the font size.…To view the crontab MAN page in the help browser,…type "yelp, space, man, colon, crontab,"…and hit enter.…By viewing the MAN page in Yelp, we can print it…by going to the hamburger menu and selecting print.…We can also bookmark pages by clicking on the star…
- Distinguish the difference between the –help option and the output of the man command.
- Define what the uptime command is used for.
- Compare the more command with the less command.
- State which compression algorithm is built into the tar command.
- Write where all operating system files in Linux are stored.
- List the three mods in vi.
Skill Level Intermediate
Setting Up a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Serverwith Sandra Toner2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
1. Getting Help
2. Using Basic Commands
3. Navigating File Systems
4. Editing Text
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.