Extended file attributes allow administrators to add SELinux security context, Access Control Lists and special flags to make files immutable or even append only. These attributes help administrators create secure Linux systems by adding to the Linux discretionary access control system as well as adding a mandatory access control system layered upon it.
- [Instructor] Extended attributes are extensions…to normal file attributes.…Just like normal attributes,…extended attributes are stored with files on the disk.…There are three major types of extended attributes.…Extended security attributes…Extended system attributes…and Extended user attributes.…Let's take a closer look at each.…Each file has a SELinux security context…that's stored with the file.…To get the SELinux security context…use ls with the dash capital Z option.…
Type in ls -Z /etc/passwd…and hit Enter.…We can see the SELinux security context…in the fifth column.…We can also recursively get the SELinux security context…using the dash capital R capital Z option.…Extended system attributes store file access control lists…or ACLs.…ACLs provide an additional layer…of discretionary access control for Linux,…making Linux permissions easier to manage.…
File ACLs allow administrators to set permissions…for multiple users on a file.…They also allow permissions for multiple groups…to be set on a file.…ACLs provide inheritance for user and group permissions…
- Define file Access Control Lists.
- Describe what extended globs add to Linux pattern matching.
- State why file system recovery tools are so important for Linux users.
- Recall what execute permissions on a directory allows.
- Cite the maximum allowed default permissions on a file in Linux.
- List some of the advantages of ACLs over standard Unix permissions.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Desktops and Remote Accesswith Grant McWilliams1h 44m Intermediate
1. Linux Files
2. Manipulate Files
3. Standard Unix Permissions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.