Join Chaim Krause for an in-depth discussion in this video The GNOME desktop, part of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Essential Training.
- [Instructor] The thing to understand…about the GNOME desktop…is that it's like similar desktops in Windows and MacOS.…Just, it looks a little bit different.…So what we have is windows.…And all there really is…is the stock desktop that comes with it.…Same thing when you talk about OS X or the macOS.…You've got a desktop that's built into the operating system…and that's what you use.…When it comes to Linux,…you've got choices.…You've got choices like KDE, GNOME, Xfce, MATE.…
These are all different desktops.…They're all different ways of looking at the system.…Controlling the underlying applications.…But they all do the same thing.…So SUSE has to provide an operating system distribution,…which means all the programs that go along with it.…And for that, it also means graphical front-ends…for those programs.…So SUSE does not want to work on other desktops.…They want to focus and dedicate to the GNOME desktop…so that they don't spend any resources…on development and maintenance of the other interfaces.…
Instead they can use those resources…
- What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
- Installing SLES
- Linux file types
- Working at the command line
- Managing processes
- Working with background processes
- Managing users and groups
- Changing file permissions
- Configuring network interfaces
- Displaying hardware information
- Managing drivers
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Package Managers and Repositorieswith Scott Simpson1h 13m Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
1. What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
2. Working at the Command Line
3. System Initialization
4. Process Management
5. Identity and Security
6. Managing Software
7. Network Management
8. Basic Network Services
10. Administration and Monitoring
11. Hardware Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.