Find the available LKMs in the standard places on a Linux system.
- [Voiceover] Talking about loadable kernel modules,…let's talk about finding the Linux kernel loadable modules.…So modules are installed in a standard place,…that's underneath the /lib/ modules directory…and then a subdirectory with the name of the kernel version.…There's a lot of modules,…and they're organized into different subdirectories…based on their subsystem like drivers…or network and so forth.…In the /lib/ modules kernel version directory,…there are also a number of config files…for use for utilities like modprobe.…
Module files are compiled files that can be…made up of multiple source files linked together…but the module needs to have a unique name.…You can't have two modules loaded with the same name.…Now you could have your module files be anywhere…on the system, they could be in your home directory, say,…but then you couldn't use the modprobe command.…The modprobe command, which is the most convenient way…for loading modules, is designed to look under…/lib/modules/ kernel version…and that uname -r will tell you the name…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.