In this video, Kevin Dankwardt provides a comprehensive look at the variety of mechanisms, including ACLs, attributes, permission modes, SELinux, and mount options that can limit permissions to files. We look at permission modes, ACLs, file attributes, an
- [Instructor] Let's look a little more closely…at file permission problems.…What can prevent you from getting access?…So first of all remember there's the ordinary…permission modes that change mods for stuff.…We'll we've got owner group other with RWX,…but there's three other special permissions,…the set UID, the set group ID, and the sticky bit.…So something in there could be causing a problem.…There's ACLs like we just looked at.…
They could be preventing you from having permission.…Extended attributes, which are kind of mysterious…and they can prevent access.…Now remember that only owner and root can change permissions…and maybe only root can set some of these…special features.…Also the way a file system is mounted can prevent…certain capabilities.…And then things like SELinux use special additional…kernel security features that can prevent access,…so maybe it's SELinux that's preventing permission.…
In general the error messages are something that…you're going to have to try to figure out.…Sometimes just permission denied is not a big clue though,…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.