Find and edit the Linux kernel Makefile.
- [Voiceover] In the Kernel Makefile is version information.…In fact, these are the first several lines of the makefile.…You typically don't edit the kernel makefile,…except maybe to set EXTRAVERSION.…If you are gonna create a new kernel,…and you don't want to overwrite the existing kernel,…then it's a good idea to make this unique.…If you're working with a kernel yourself,…maybe you set EXTRAVERSION to be dash your name.…Or if it's a project, you know, dash project.…And then, when you make a kernel, that will be included…in the name and that will make it unique,…and that won't overwrite an existing one.…
When we do make help with a kernel makefile,…we get lots of output, and let's look at a few things.…So besides make clean, we can make mrproper.…Make mrproper is a super clean.…It not only removes generated files,…but it also removes your config file,…so be careful with that.…distclean is even a more thorough clean than mrproper.…Then we have some configuration targets.…I prefer makemenu config and make xconfig,…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014)with Jon Peck3h 52m Beginner
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.