Examine and make use of config files include defconfig files.
- [Voiceover] Let's look more closely at the config files.….config in particular is the default file.…When you start out make xconfig or make menuconfig,…it starts with .config.…So that's a text file, you can overwrite it.…Say if you have another config file you want to use.…Or if you want to give someone documentation about how…your kernel's configured, you can give them…your .config file.…Distros usually provide a copy of the config file…they used for their kernel in the slash boot directory.…
So you can see how your kernel was configured.…If you want to configure a kernel the same way your…distro's kernel is configured, then copy that config file.…Call it .config.…And if you want to tweak it a little bit, you copy that,…then you can do your make menuconfig, or make xconfig…based on their config file.…Sometimes a distro might give you some extra config files,…when you get to the source to their kernel, maybe they have…a bunch of config files, because they build their kernel…differently for different audiences, different targets.…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.