There are a lot of special characters used by Bash. If you want to use these characters directly or pass them onto another command we need to escape them. Using double quotes and single quotes result in completely different outcomes. Double quotes allow variable substitution and single quotes don't.
- [Instructor] The bash shell has characters…called meta-characters that have special meaning.…For example, less than and greater than symbols,…caret, dollar sign, period, asterisk, question mark,…square brackets, pipe, curly brackets, parentheses,…plus and backslash, single quotes and double quotes.…We talked about most of these before, in Chapter One.…Now we should talk about escaping characters and quoting.…If we want to get the value of a variable,…we can use the Echo command…and prefix the variable with a dollar sign.…
This tells Echo to read the value of the variable.…In a terminal type in echo, space,…dollar sign, capital U-S-E-R and hit Enter.…This shows us the value of the user variable.…We can also include this variable in a string of characters.…Type in echo, space, My name is,…dollar sign, capital U-S-E-R and hit Enter.…The result is, on my computer, is My name is Grant.…Now let's place a string inside double quotes.…
Use your up arrow and place double quotes…around My name is, dollar sign USER and hit Enter.…
- Topics include:
- Shell tips and tricks
- Pattern matching with globs
- Pattern matching with extended globs
- Using the Bash shell
- Monitoring processes using ps
- Monitoring processes graphically
- Managing processes
- Job scheduling
- Limiting access to AT and cron jobs
- Managing system services
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Linux Command Line (2016)with Scott Simpson1h 38m Beginner
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
1. Linux Shells Overview
2. Using the Bash Shell
3. Linux Processes
4. Job Scheduling
5. System Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.