There are a lot of special characters used by Bash. If you want to use these characters directly or pass them onto another command we need to escape them. Using double quotes and single quotes result in completely different outcomes. Double quotes allow variable substitution and single quotes don't.
- [Instructor] The bash shell has characters…called meta-characters that have special meaning.…For example, less than and greater than symbols,…caret, dollar sign, period, asterisk, question mark,…square brackets, pipe, curly brackets, parentheses,…plus and backslash, single quotes and double quotes.…We talked about most of these before, in Chapter One.…Now we should talk about escaping characters and quoting.…If we want to get the value of a variable,…we can use the Echo command…and prefix the variable with a dollar sign.…
This tells Echo to read the value of the variable.…In a terminal type in echo, space,…dollar sign, capital U-S-E-R and hit Enter.…This shows us the value of the user variable.…We can also include this variable in a string of characters.…Type in echo, space, My name is,…dollar sign, capital U-S-E-R and hit Enter.…The result is, on my computer, is My name is Grant.…Now let's place a string inside double quotes.…
Use your up arrow and place double quotes…around My name is, dollar sign USER and hit Enter.…
- Write the command that will take you to the most recent directory.
- Write the command that brings back the arguments and options from the previous line.
- Explain what extended globs can do.
- Identify the access.conf line that will restrict all users from using the cron service except for the user named bob.
- List the line that will get a list of only running services.
- Identify what typing ‘systemctl enable crond’ will do.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
1. Linux Shells Overview
2. Using the Bash Shell
3. Linux Processes
4. Job Scheduling
5. System Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.