Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Environment setup, part of Linux Foundation Cert Prep: User and Group Management (Ubuntu).
- [Instructor] In this course, I'll be using an Ubuntu virtual machine in VirtualBox. If you already have a VM or a Linux machine ready to go, you should be able to use it without any trouble. The changes that we'll make in this course do require superuser access and we'll be adding and modifying users and groups. As always, be sure you're not learning on a production system where a configuration change could break something or cause a security problem. If you don't have a Linux machine handy or you don't have a VM already installed and ready to go, take some time to get that set up before you continue.
We have many courses that cover the process in detail, so I won't go through the process here.
- Creating, modifying, and deleting user accounts
- Creating and modifying groups
- Configuring and monitoring user resources
- Configuring permissions to allow group collaboration
- Working with pluggable authentication modules (PAM)
- Managing user and group information with an LDAP directory
- Authenticating clients with Kerberos