Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Environment setup and exercise files, part of Linux: Package Managers and Repositories.
- [Instructor] In this course, I'm using two virtual machines running in VirtualBox. One running CentOS 7 and the other running Ubuntu 16.04. If you have virtual machines already set up, great. If not, take a look at one of our courses that goes over the installation process. Up and Running with CentOS Linux, and Up and Running with Ubuntu Desktop Linux are great starting points, as well as Linux: Overview and Installation. I also expect that you're familiar with working at the command line. There are no exercise files for this course, because we'll be downloading some files from the web and from package management software as we go along.
- Managing packages with RPM and YUM
- Downloading a package file
- Finding package information
- Exploring package dependencies
- Installing a package and checking what has been installed
- Installing groups of packages
- Adding software from third parties to your installation
- Removing and upgrading a package
- Managing packages with dpkg and APT package managers
- Exploring aptitude