Domain name system is essential to any network. DNS converts host names to an IP address. Lisa Bock reviews components of a DNS request and reply using Wireshark.
- [Instructor] Domain Name System…is essential to any network.…DNS converts host names to an IP address,…and it uses Port 53 over UDP or TCP.…UDP is used on Port 53 for requests.…Why? It's a lightweight protocol,…and we want a response fast.…TCP, on Port 53, is for a full zone transfer.…With that, we want to make sure that we have all the parts,…so we wanna make sure that it's…a connection-oriented process when…we do a full zone transfer.…
Now, DNS queries and responses are pretty straight forward.…A client will send a query to a DNS server for an IP address…and the server responds with information.…When looking at a DNS header, there are four sections.…We have questions, answer resource records,…authority resource records, and additional resource records.…Depending on the query, you'll see a number…of different types of queries.…We'll look at some common ones.…You'll see type A, which is an IP version for address,…and MX is a mail exchange,…and AAAA, that is, an IP version six address.…
Let's take a look; I've done a quick capture,…
Note: The topics in this course will prepare you for key objectives on the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. Find an overview of the certification and the exam handbook at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Sniffing network traffic
- Passive vs. active attacks
- Comparing IPv4 to IPv6
- MAC and macof attacks
- Investigating DHCP attacks
- Detecting ARP and DNS spoofing
- Sniffing tools and techniques
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sniffing Overview
2. MAC Attacks
6. Sniffing Tools and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.