You can use Telnet to see what response you get from an unknown service.
- [Narrator] Services are generally…associated with the default port.…However, sometimes when scanning,…we find an open service on an uncommon port…and we need to diagnose what the service is.…Sometimes it's obvious.…Let's run a scan of Olympus on IP address 10.10.10.83.…OK, we can see that we've detected ports 53, 80 and 2222.…Port 22 is filtered, and port 2222 has been reported as SSH.…
We can attempt to connect on port 2222 with SSH.…We get the standard SSH request for the root password.…This is a standard SSH service.…Often when scanning targets, we'll see…HTTP services on variations of port 80.…Proxy services typically run on port 8080 or 8088.…These are well-known variants and will be…flagged by and mapped accordingly.…
But sometimes we find a port that isn't common,…and isn't immediately obvious.…Let's look at the minion server on port 10.10.10.57.…We find no standards ports open here,…and need to use a more extensive scan.…We can use masscan for this.…For the purposes of this course, I won't do a full scan.…
- Using Masscan for rapid full-service scanning
- Passive scanning with Shodan
- Using Nmap scripts
- Scanning with Reconnoitre and Vanquish
- Diagnosing uncommon ports
- Enumerating Drupal, WordPress, and Joomla sites
- Enumerating in the Linux shell
- Using the JAWS PowerShell script
Skill Level Advanced
Ethical Hacking: Penetration Testingwith Lisa Bock1h 29m Intermediate
Penetration Testing Essential Trainingwith Malcolm Shore2h 29m Intermediate
Penetration Testing: Advanced Kali Linuxwith Malcolm Shore2h 22m Intermediate
1. Identifying Services
2. Enumerating Services
3. Enumerating Web Servers
4. Further Enumeration
Enumerating inside Windows4m 41s
What's next1m 39s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.