Join Chaim Krause for an in-depth discussion in this video Delegate privileges with su and sudo, part of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Essential Training.
- [Instructor] When we talked about file permissions,…we had user, group, and other.…Sometimes when we're doing system administration,…we're running as root,…so we want to act with the permissions of a user,…so we may want to switch users,…and work ask if we are in that account.…So we have a user account…with the user name of user.…I'm going to switch users to user.…And as you can see, my prompt has changed,…and it is now logged in as if I was user.…
If I exit, I go back out…to the shell I was in with the permissions I had,…which was root.…Now, if you do switch user and add a dash,…and not only are you going to switch to the user,…but you're going to execute the log on scripts,…so your environment will be set up the same way…as it was if you logged in fresh.…So now I can test things out as that user,…try different files, execute them,…see if I have the permissions,…and have the experience that the user would have.…
But what happens if it's the other way around?…What happens if I'm a user…and I want to do something as root?…
- What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
- Installing SLES
- Linux file types
- Working at the command line
- Managing processes
- Working with background processes
- Managing users and groups
- Changing file permissions
- Configuring network interfaces
- Displaying hardware information
- Managing drivers
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Package Managers and Repositorieswith Scott Simpson1h 13m Intermediate
Linux: User and Group Managementwith Grant McWilliams1h 8m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
1. What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?
2. Working at the Command Line
3. System Initialization
4. Process Management
5. Identity and Security
6. Managing Software
7. Network Management
8. Basic Network Services
10. Administration and Monitoring
11. Hardware Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.