Sniffing can be a precursor to an attack. Learn how to defend against sniffing by using IDS, along with programs to detect sniffers such as AntiSniff and arpwatch.
- [Instructor] Sniffing can be a precursor to an attack.…Learn how to defend against sniffing.…Unauthorized sniffing may be considered illegal,…unless it's required as part of employment,…or you're monitoring your own network.…However, knowing this generally doesn't stop a hacker…from sniffing the network.…There are some best practices to defend against sniffing.…Disable any open ports in common areas…to discourage hackers from tapping in…and sniffing network traffic.…Use encryption for email, webpage transaction,…or configuring devices.…
Keep in mind however,…encryption will not protect…broadcast traffic onto the network…for device discovery such as DHCP or ARP.…There are programs that help detect sniffers.…There's AntiSniff software that can monitor a network…to detect if a node is in promiscuous mode.…Arpwatch monitors MAC address and IP address pairings…in the ARP cache to see if there is duplication.…Snort is an intrusion detection system,…and its arpspoof preprocessor can be used…to detect instances of ARP spoofing,…
Note: The topics in this course will prepare you for key objectives on the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. Find an overview of the certification and the exam handbook at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Sniffing network traffic
- Passive vs. active attacks
- Comparing IPv4 to IPv6
- MAC and macof attacks
- Investigating DHCP attacks
- Detecting ARP and DNS spoofing
- Sniffing tools and techniques
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sniffing Overview
2. MAC Attacks
6. Sniffing Tools and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.