Organizing files can make users more efficient and lower stress. Linux supports two types of links: symbolic and hard. Hard links don't take up much space and are seamless however they can't be used across partitions and can't link to directories. Symbolic links work across partitions and can link to directories.
- [Instructor] When organizing our work space, it can be…advantageous to create links, or shortcuts,…to our files and directories.…For instance, we can have a link in our home directory…called Netdrive that points to a network drive that's…at /media/network/server/bob/files.…This saves time browsing to it as it's a shortcut…in our home directory.…There are two different kinds of links: symbolic links,…and hard links.…We'll start out by creating hard links.…In a terminal, let's create a directory for this exercise.…Type in mkdir lnexercise and hit enter.…
Then cd lnexercise and hit enter again.…You can verify your path by typing in pwd.…Now let's create a file and a directory.…Type in touch file.txt and hit enter.…And then create a directory by typing in mkdir dir1.…We can verify this with ls -l.…We can see that we have a file named file.txt,…and a directory named dir1.…Now let's create a hard link to file.txt and we'll name…that hard link file link.txt.…
The syntax is ln file.txt filelink.txt and hit enter.…Let's verify this with ls -l and hit enter.…
- Define file Access Control Lists.
- Describe what extended globs add to Linux pattern matching.
- State why file system recovery tools are so important for Linux users.
- Recall what execute permissions on a directory allows.
- Cite the maximum allowed default permissions on a file in Linux.
- List some of the advantages of ACLs over standard Unix permissions.
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Desktops and Remote Accesswith Grant McWilliams1h 44m Intermediate
1. Linux Files
2. Manipulate Files
3. Standard Unix Permissions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.