In this video Kevin Dankwardt describes Linux approaches to encrypted storage including LUKS and encrypted file systems. We set up, zero out, format, and mount a LUKS-encrypted partition.
- [Instructor] File System Encryption.…So the way to go these days with Linux is use LUKS.…Linux Unified Key Setup-on-disk format.…This encrypts at the partition level,…it's not a file system type, it's not an encrypted…file system, this is better.…Everything in the partition is encrypted,…that means it doesn't have to be a file system…and you can have your own kind of file system…on top of it and you can even have your swap space…encrypted which is important.…You know if you do a suspended disk…all of your Ram gets copied out to disk,…you want that encrypted, right?…So this is great for removable media…or computers that move like laptops.…
Also, LUKS provides multiple keys,…so you can have different people with different keys…if you want.…You'll probably use LUKS when you do an install,…you can just during you install say you want…your system encrypted, and then you come up…with a passphrase, like a password of what to type in…to allow access, don't forget that, I've forgotten it,…I have a laptop and I can't get to my own directory anymore…
- Partitioning storage
- Creating, mounting, and unmounting file systems
- Formatting file systems
- Making volumes with LVM
- Adding storage security
- Managing swap spaces
- Backing up and recovering Linux storage systems
- Working with networked file systems like NFS and SSHFS
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Linux Command Line (2016)with Scott Simpson1h 38m Beginner
Linux: Bash Shell and Scriptswith Kevin Dankwardt2h 46m Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Disk Partitions, Formatting, and Mounting
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Security and Resource Constraints
4. Special Storage Features and Considerations
5. Networked File Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.