Join Kevin Dankwardt for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge solution, part 2, part of Linux Kernel Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Let's see how I figure out…what the settings are for various kernel variables.…So, underneath Proc are lots of kernel…tunable variables.…So we can look under Proc, and it's probably…handy to be root, so we're going to switch over…and run a shell root, change the directory…to slash Proc, and now we don't really know…maybe where IP4 is, so we can just do a find,…and we see there's one with that name…underneath Sys Net IPV4.…
In fact, all the kernel tunable variables…are underneath Proc Sys, and it makes sense…one with the name IP4, it would have to do with…whether the kernel will forward IP packets or not,…would be under Proc Sys Net, and this is…an IP Version Four thing, so that's why it's there.…So now we know the path, and we can cat it…to see the current value for that variable,…and it reports one.…Now remember, we're not directly looking…at that variable.…When we read from that file, that's what cat does,…there is a function in the kernel called…to report the value, and if we are to echo a value…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.