Kevin provides some challenges wherein you fetch Linux kernel source code from kernel.org and from a Linux distribution, unpack the source code, peruse the source code, and search & read kernel documentaiton.
- [Voiceover] In your exercise files,…you should find the document Chapter 4 Challenges.pdf…with the questions for working with kernel source code…where we fetch the kernel, and we do some…checking of some cool stuff.…Now how long this set of challenges takes…really depends on your download speed.…In particular, cloning the Ubuntu source for the kernel…might take a while.…It took me 25 minutes to download it on my system,…so the total time could well be more than 30 minutes,…but the time of you typing and doing stuff…is about 30 minutes plus the additional time for downloads.…
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014)with Jon Peck3h 52m Beginner
1. Surveying the Linux Kernel
3. Working with Loadable Kernel Modules
4. Examining Linux Kernel Source Code
5. Configuring and Building a Linux Kernel
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.