In this video, Chaim Krause covers canonical name resource records. Understand how the Internet's naming service uses aliases to get you to your desired destination.
- [Teacher] Next up is the canonical name…or CNAME resource record.…Think of them as aliases.…When you already have a aquanet…record for a host to find,…and you want to assign it more than one host name,…you add a CNAME record.…The format of a CNAME resource record…should look familiar to you.…Name ttl class CNAME, canonical name.…In our examples on file, we have five such records.…Let's start with the first four.…
FTP CNAMED to server one.…Mail is also CNAMED to server one.…Mail2 you see named to server three,…and WWW is CNAMED to server two.…This SOA file configures to zone example.com.…So that when someone queries ftp.example.com,…the same IPV4 address is returned…as what should be returned…for serverone.example.com.…Namely 10.9.8.6.…
The following line ensures that…if mail.example.com is queried,…then it also replies with 10.9.8.6.…Next we have Mail2 pointing to server three…which in turn points to 10.9.8.22.…If you look at the next line,…you can see a WWW points to server two…which has three IPV4 addresses assigned to it.…
- Working with different types of name servers
- Working with zone files
- Setting up a basic name server
- Creating, verifying, loading, and testing the zone file
- Allowing queries from localnets
- Configuring an advanced name server
- Serving a website or email
- Adding security
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Installing BIND
Installing BIND1m 4s
2. Types of Name Servers
3. Zone Configuration File
4. Basic Name Server Setup
5. Advanced Name Server Setup
6. Security Concerns
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.