In this video, Chaim Krause takes a default BIND configuration and reconfigures it to be an authoritative only name server. All that is left is to add your zone files.
- [Voiceover] An Authoritative-Only Name Server,…is a name server with the sole purpose of providing…the official answer to a DNS query for a domain.…This is a first type of name server we have looked at…that does not do caching,…and that is one of the characteristics…of an authoritative-only name server.…The other characteristic is that it will be either…a Zone's master or a Zone slave name server for a domain.…And this can be for one or more domains.…For example, an authoritative-only name server could be an…authoritative name server for the example.com, example.net,…and example.org domains at the same time.…
The benefits of a name server being an authoritative-only…name server are mainly that it can spend its…processing power on just handling DNS queries…for the zones its responsible for,…and not have to spend resources doing things like…performing recursive name queries or caching of information.…So the main benefit is performant replies.…In other words, an authoritative-only name server is not…only characterized by what is does, but is also just as much…
- Working with different types of name servers
- Working with zone files
- Setting up a basic name server
- Creating, verifying, loading, and testing the zone file
- Allowing queries from localnets
- Configuring an advanced name server
- Serving a website or email
- Adding security
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Multitasking at the Command Linewith Scott Simpson39m 1s Intermediate
1. Installing BIND
Installing BIND1m 4s
2. Types of Name Servers
3. Zone Configuration File
4. Basic Name Server Setup
5. Advanced Name Server Setup
6. Security Concerns
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.