When using NTP on an Enterprise Linux 7 host, you can choose either the legacy ntpd service or the newer chronyd service. Chronyd supports networks that are intermittent and even isolated.
- [Narrator] You can set up an Enterprise Linux server…as a time server for other hosts.…This server will get us time information…from an external source that gets its…time information from an atomic clock.…Let's talk about Network Time Protocol, or NTP.…NTP represents the time as a number of seconds…from January 1st, 1900,…in the form of a 32-bit number.…This means that the time will reset in the year 2036,…but does not present a problem because…NTP works on the differences between timestamps,…so even after it rolls over, it's still accurate.…
The NTP4 standard has support for keeping track of errors…by way of numbers and offsets,…meaning it can deal with chunks of time…larger than 68 years.…NTP is more intelligent than previous time protocols…in that it also calculates round-trip time…and server response time.…When synchronizing to a time server,…an initial packet is sent from the client with a timestamp.…The receiving server then adds a received timestamp…and sends the packet back,…and the round-trip time is calculated.…
- Network Time Services (NTP)
- How NTP works for authentication
- Configuring the chrony server and chrony client
- Setting up an LDAP server and LDAP client
- Creating a Kerberos database
- Configuring Kerberos client authentication
Skill Level Intermediate
Linux: Package Management for CentOSwith Grant McWilliams1h 56m Intermediate
Linux System Engineer: Networking and SSHwith Grant McWilliams1h 52m Intermediate
1. Network Time Services
2. Setting Up an LDAP Server
3. Setting Up an LDAP Client
4. Authentication Using Kerberos
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.