Join May Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video What's the value of a LinkedIn profile?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- I get that question a lot from service members,…especially transitioning service members.…What's the difference between a resume…and a LinkedIn profile?…You know, what I always tell them is…I take everybody, every service member that I'm mentoring…as they transition through the resume building process.…I think it's an essential process and you do need a resume…to be successful in your transition because it allows…you to tell your story and allows you…to get your story organized,…but it does have some constraints, a resume.…A resume's great for one-on-one meeting with a person…or an interview if you've made it that far in the process.…
In our world today, it's very much driven by technology.…When you go to these company websites and upload a resume,…if it's not meeting certain key words, you're not actually…going to be brought in for an interview…for that job opportunity most likely.…What you get with a LinkedIn profile is just a much more…robust service offering.…It's great, and a few things that I like to point out…
Find out how to become a LinkedIn member and discover special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Creating a strong LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your work experience
- Adding skills and endorsements to your profile
- Using the Education, Honors, and Awards features
- Connecting with other LinkedIn members
- Finding open job opportunities
- Using Linked Learning to build skills
- Getting a free LinkedIn premium subscription