Join Greg Call for an in-depth discussion in this video What's the current employment situation for veterans?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- The good news about the employment situation for veterans is it's really improved significantly over the past few years. When I got out in 2012, I think veteran unemployment in my generation of veterans was hovering at around 10%. The latest unemployment rates came out for February of this year, and we're at 4.8%, and non-veterans are at 4.9%. We actually have lower unemployment rates now than non-veterans, and the beautiful thing is, this is really the community that's risen up and said, hey, this is unacceptable.
We're not gonna have the men and women that are out there sacrificing and serving our country come back and not be able to get a job. So there are what they call pipelines now for service members and veterans that will help facilitate you making this transition, and I encourage you to reach out to a lot of these pipelines that are out there that your transition specialist will talk to you about in your transition course. But that's the great news. So hey, we have lower unemployment rates now than the non-veteran population, so what's next for our community? We've gone through this survival period, and now what's the next phase for the veteran community of our generation of veterans? And for me it's really thriving and transforming organizations and corporations that we're now working in.
We have this unique opportunity now as a community to do great things outside of the military. So I encourage you all to kinda think about that, and we have this opportunity now to reach our full potential. There's not that many obstacles in our way anymore, and so I encourage you to really push to try to reach your full potential in the private sector and change some of these organizations and corporations that you work with.
Find out how to join LinkedIn and get special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Drawing attention to your LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your skills, experience, and education
- Growing your LinkedIn network
- Finding open job opportunities
- Learning with Lynda.com