Join Greg Call for an in-depth discussion in this video What is my dream job?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- I think it's very unique to the veteran community this idea and this reality that we've probably already had our dream job in our lives. For me, I was a rifle platoon commander in the Marine Corp. That will always be my dream job, and that will always be the best job that I ever have, and that's very unique in the civilian sector, because a lot of people work for 20, 30 years to get their dream job in the civilian sector so it might be something that's very challenging to overcome as you look forward to your transition, but for me, it goes back to always looking at what made that your dream job in the Marine Corp? For me, being a rifle platoon commander it was 'cause I was mission driven everyday.
I had a real purpose in my work and everything that I was doing. I encourage you to look back at hey, what made that a great job for you and maybe the best job that you'll ever have, and try to recreate that when you transition out of the military. Make that a main focus for you. For me, I knew I wanted to do purpose driven work in the private sector. Everything that I did when I transitioned out of the military, I fought to get jobs where I could do purpose driven work, and so that would be my advice to anybody that's struggling with that as they get out of the military of hey, I already had this job, this was my dream job.
Nothing else would compare. Find that little bit that will compare and really fight hard to have that in the private sector.
Find out how to join LinkedIn and get special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Drawing attention to your LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your skills, experience, and education
- Growing your LinkedIn network
- Finding open job opportunities
- Learning with Lynda.com